Balkavi Bairagi was popularly known as Rastrakavi (national poet). Balkavi Bairagi was a Hindi poet, writer, film lyricist, and politician from India. Bairagi was widely famous for his work in poetry and he had also written songs for Bollywood.
Bairagi was born as Nand Ramdas Bairagi on 10 February 1931 in Rampura village of Manasa tehsil of Mandsaur district of Madhya Pradesh in a Vaishnav Brahmin (Bairagi) family where he breathed his last on 13th May 2018 in Kavi Nagar on Bhatkhedi Road.
Before his death, he had attended a program of Congress leader Babu Salim in Neemuch. Reached Manasa back at 3:30. He went to his room to rest for some time. Bairagi’s grandfather was no more when he started picking him up for tea at 5:00. He was 87 years old.
Geet, Darad Deewani, Do Took, Bhavi Rakshak Desh Ke, Aao Bachchon, Gao Bachchon, etc. are the main works of Balkavi Bairagi.
He obtained his post-graduate degree in Hindi from Vikram University, Ujjain, Madhya Pradesh. He was a Member of Parliament, Rajya Sabha from Madhya Pradesh from 1998 to 2004. Balkavi Bairagi was also a general secretary of the Akhil Bharatiya Congress Committee.
Balkavi Bairagi was originally named “Nand Ramdas Bairagi” (real name), he came to be popularly called Balkavi Bairagi as he wrote some classic poems during his childhood.
The story behind the name “Balkavi”
In 52, Congress candidate Kailashnath Katju gave the name ‘Balkavi‘ after listening to his song at an election meeting in Manasa. From that day, Nandram Das Bairagi started being recognized as ‘Balkavi Bairagi‘.
As a writer
Bairagi wrote several Hindi poems and wrote prolifically for children. His poem “Jhar Gaye Paat, Bisar Gayi Tehni” is considered a masterpiece.
Bairagi worked with some of the finest composers in Hindi films, he wrote lyrics for at least a dozen Hindi films, the most noted among them are—
- Jaidev (Reshma aur Shera and Ankahee)
- Vasant Desai (Rani aur Lalpari)
- SN Tripathi (Veer Chhatrasal)
Balkavi had a successful career as a politician. He affiliated with the Indian National Congress, he was elected to the Madhya Pradesh Legislative Assembly from Manasa in 1968 and again in 1980.
At various points in time, he served as the Minister of State for Information, the Minister of Language and Tourism, and the Minister of Food and Civil Supplies in the Madhya Pradesh Government.
He was a Member of the Lok Sabha between 1984 and 1989, representing the Mandsaur constituency. He was a Rajya Sabha member from 1998 to 2004.
In spite of being such a great personality he always remained as Bairagi (recluse), perhaps only then he used to say… “I earn with a pen, I sing to Congress… I don’t take bribes.”
- Deewat (lamp pot) Par Deep
- Jhar Gaye Paat Bisar Gayi Tehani
- Ganne Mere Bhai
- Jo Kutilta Se Jiyeinge
- Apni Gandh Nahi Bechunga
- Mere Desh Ke Laal
- Naujawan Aao Re!
- Saara Desh Hamara
- Main Upasthit Hun Yahan (I am here)
Poems for children
- Shishuon Ke Liye Faanch Kavitayein-1
- Shishuon Ke Liye Faanch Kavitayein-2
- Shishuon Ke Liye Faanch Kavitayein-3
- Shishuon Ke Liye Faanch Kavitayein-4
- Shishuon Ke Liye Faanch Kavitayein-5
- Vishwas (Trust)
- Chaand Me Dhabba (Stain in Moon)
- Chaay Banao (Prepare Tea)
- Aakash (Sky)
- Khud Saagar Bann Jao
- Mujhko Bhi Raadha Bana Le Nandlaal
- Too Chanda Main Chaandani, Too Taroovar Main Shaakh Re
- He was born on 10th February 1931 in Rampura village of Manasa tehsil of Mandsaur district of Madhya Pradesh.
- On 13th May 2018, respected poet and writer and former MP Balkavi Bairagi passed away. He was 87 years old.
- He served as a Lok Sabha member between 1984 and 1989 and he was also a former Rajya Sabha MP.
- Geet, Darad Diwani, do Took, Bhavi Rakshak Desh Ke, etc. are their main compositions.
- He wrote lyrics for more than two dozen Hindi films and some like “Tu Chanda Main Chandni” from the film “Reshma aur Shera” are considered classics.
- He wrote several Hindi poems, among which, “Jhar Gaye Paat, Bisar Gayi Tehni” is considered a masterpiece by many Hindi poets
- His childhood name was Nandram Das Bairagi.