Yogeshwar Dutt is an Indian wrestling player. Popularly known as Yogi and Pahalwanji, the names of this Indian wrestler are recorded in many big competitions including Olympics. He is one of only 5 male wrestlers in India to win an Olympic medal.
|Nickname||Manish Pahalwan, Yogi, Pahalwanji|
|Professions||Freestyle wrestler and politician|
|Coach/Mentor||Ramphal and Master Satbir Singh|
|Date of birth||2 November 1982|
|Age||40 yrs (as of 2022)|
|Hometown||Bhainswal Kalan, Gohana, Sonipat, Haryana|
|Language||Hindi, English, Haryanavi|
|Favorite actor||Amitabh Bachchan, Randeep Hudda|
|Father’s name||Ram Mehar Dutt|
|Mother’s name||Sushila Devi|
|Son||Yogit Yogeshwar Dutt|
Wrestler Yogeshwar Dutt was born on 2 November 1982 in Bhainswal Kalan village of Sonepat district of Haryana, this freestyle wrestler started wrestling at the age of eight.
When Yogeshwar Dutt was 14 years old, he used to travel daily by train to the famous Chhatrasal Stadium in New Delhi and from here he found a way forward.
Nearly seven years later, at the 2004 Athens Olympics, 21-year-old Yogeshwar Dutt faced challenges from Japanese grappler Chikara Tanabe (that year’s bronze medalist) and 2000 Sydney gold medalist Abdullayev of Azerbaijan. Yogeshwar Dutt felt the lack of experience in both of these matches.
Two years later, he suffered a major setback when his father died just nine days before the 2006 Asian Games in Doha. Even after this, he paid tribute to his father by winning a bronze medal despite a knee injury.
Although earlier Yogeshwar’s family did not approve that his son should take up wrestling as a career when he saw Yogeshwar’s passion for this sport, he bowed in front of his son.
Yogeshwar also did not let him down and went on to make the country and his family proud by winning a bronze medal in the 60 kg weight category at the 2012 London Olympics.
For his achievement, the Government of India honored him with the Khel Ratna (2012) and Padma Shri (2013) honors. Yogeshwar then won gold medals for India in the 65 kg category at the 2014 Incheon Asian Games and Glasgow Commonwealth Games.
Before this, he had won a bronze medal at the 2006 Doha Asian Games and a gold medal at the 2010 New Delhi Commonwealth Games. Apart from this, Yogeshwar also has two gold medals in the Asian Championships.
Yogeshwar started his international career with the 2003 Commonwealth Wrestling Championship. In 2012, he was awarded the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna by the Government of India.
Yogeshwar Dutt says that wrestling is an integral part of his life, whatever I have achieved I have done because of wrestling. My Olympic bronze medal win will always be close to my heart.
Yogeshwar joined Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in September 2019.
Awards, and recognition
- 2012 London: 60 kg freestyle – Bronze Medel
- 2006 Doha: 60 kg freestyle – Bronze Medel
- 2014 Incheon: 65 kg freestyle – Gold Medel
- 2010 Delhi: 60 kg freestyle – Gold Medel
- 2014 Glasgow: 65 kg freestyle – Gold Medel
- 2008 Jeju City: 60 kg freestyle – Gold Medel
- 2012 Gumi: 60 kg freestyle – Gold Medel
- 2003 London: 55 kg freestyle – Gold Medel
- 2005 Cape Town: 60 kg freestyle – Gold Medel
- 2005 Cape Town: 60 kg Greco-Roman – Silver Medel
- 2007 London: 60 kg freestyle – Gold Medel
- 2007 London: 60 kg Greco-Roman – Silver Medel
- Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award 2012 by the Government of India for the bronze medal at the 2012 London Olympics.
- ₹10 million (US$130,000) cash reward from the Haryana Government.
- 4×4 vehicle from a PSU bank